Location of vCenter Server log files:
The vCenter Server logs location is depended vCenter Server version and the deployed platform:
- vCenter Server 5.x and earlier versions on Windows XP, 2000, 2003: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\
- vCenter Server 5.x and earlier versions on Windows Vista, 7, 2008: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\
- vCenter Server Appliance 5.x: /var/log/vmware/vpx/
- vCenter Server Appliance 5.x UI: /var/log/vmware/vami
- Center Server 6.0: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMWare\vCenterServer\logs
- vCenter Server Appliance 6.0 /var/log/vmware/
vCenter Server logs are grouped by the different services:
The main vCenter Server log, consisting of all vSphere Client and WebServices connections, internal tasks and events, and communication with the vCenter Server Agent (vpxa) on managed ESXi/ESX hosts.
- vpxd-profiler.log, profiler.log, and scoreboard.log:
Profiled metrics for operations performed in vCenter Server. Used by the VPX Operational Dashboard (VOD) accessible at https://VCHostnameOrIPAddress/vod/index.html.
Non-fatal information logged about the vpxd process.
- cim-diag.log and vws.log:
Common Information Model monitoring information, including communication between vCenter Server and managed hosts' CIM interface.
Actions proposed and taken by VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS), grouped by the DRS-enabled cluster managed by vCenter Server. These logs are compressed.
Health reports for the Licensing Services extension, connectivity logs to vCenter Server.
Dump of string used during the installation of vCenter Server with hashed information for DNS, username and output for JDBC creation.
Provides information about the historical performance data collection from the ESXi/ESX hosts
Health reports for the Storage Monitoring Service extension, connectivity logs to vCenter Server, the vCenter Server database and the xDB for vCenter Inventory Service.
Health reports for the ESX Agent Monitor extension, connectivity logs to vCenter Server.
- catalina.date.log and localhost.date.log:
Connectivity information and status of the VMware Web management Services.
Health status of the VMwareVCMSDS service and individual ADAM database objects, internal tasks and events, and replication logs between linked-mode vCenter Servers.
Further details can be found Here